I tried to do 50, really I did. No, really. But I couldn’t…I just couldn’t delete shit, even as I thought of more to add. I know everyone is gonna have some album they think I left off…so if you got em, lemme know, but just be sure you tell me what you would remove to install your shit on this list. got it? get it? good. So without further ado…heeeeeeeere we go.
- 2Pac – 2pacalypse Now
- Big Daddy Kane – Long Live The Kane
- Black Moon – Enta Da Stage
- Black Sheep – A Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing
- Black Star – Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star
- Boogie Down Productions – By All Means Necessary
- Boogie Down Productions – Criminal Minded
- Brand Nubian – One For All
- Common – Resurrection
- Cypress Hill – Cypress Hill
- De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising
- De La Soul – De La Soul Is Dead
- Diamond And The Psychotic Neurotics – Stunts, Blunts, & Hip Hop
- Digital Underground – Sex Packets
- Dr. Dre – The Chronic
- EPMD – Strictly Business
- Eric B & Rakim – Follow The Leader
- Eric B & Rakim – Paid In Full
- Fugees – The Score
- Genius/GZA – Liquid Swords
- Goodie Mob – Soul Food
- Jay Z – Reasonable Doubt
- Juvenile – 400 Degreez
- K.M.D. – Mr. Hood
- Kool G Rap & DJ Polo – Road To The Riches
- LL Cool J – Mama Said Knock You Out
- Main Source – Breakin’ Atoms
- Masta Ace Inc. – Slaughtahouse
- Mobb Deep – The Infamous
- N.W.A – Straight Outta Compton
- Nas – Illmatic
- Organized Konfusion – Stress: The Extinction Agenda
- Outkast – Aquemini
- Outkast – ATLiens
- Outkast – Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
- Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth – Mecca And The Soul Brother
- Public Enemy – It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
- Public Enemy – Yo! Bum Rush The Show
- Raekwon – Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
- Redman – Whut ? Thee Album
- Run DMC – Raising Hell
- Scarface of the Geto Boys – Mr. Scarface Is Back
- Slick Rick – The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
- Snoop Doggy Dogg – Doggystyle
- Souls Of Mischief – ’93 Til Infinity
- Special Ed – Youngest In Charge
- The Notorious B.I.G. – Ready To Die
- The Pharcyde – Bizarre Ride II
- The Roots – Do You Want More?
- The Roots – Illadelph Halflife
- Too Short – Born To Mack
- Tribe Called Quest – Low End Theory
- Tribe Called Quest – Midnight Marauders
- Ultramagnetic MC’s – Critical Beatdown
- Wu-Tang Clan – Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
i agree w/the heavy hitters on this list…
one question tho…
no Mos Def Black on Both Sides?
I’ve got to commend you and your list and for the fact that you acknowledged Juvenile’s 400 Degrees. You’re alright with me!!
PS. Brownskinlady is right, where is the mighty mos???
again, what would you take off to put mos on there? that is the dilemma.
a dilemma it is as i can not see where any of these albums should be removed..
well done…93 til infinity, yeh. How bout
The Roots – DOYOUWANTMORE?
and damn what bout the ladies? I should know better then to ask.
MC Lyte – Eyes on This
Queen Latifah – Black Reign or Hail to the queen
or I really hate to say Lil Kim – Hardcore. (thanks biggie)
I don’t have the capacity to wanna remove any you’ve listed though.
hmm…i agree w/a*. can’t remove any…
but you must show love to the femmes.
maybe make it 60 vital hip-hop albums???
but ah, it’s your list.
Someone’s gotta come off so that Guru can get on there man….
boogiemonsters – “riders of the storm: the underwater album”…very vital, very slept-on.
since I clowned you and your list (jokes) here’s a critical (beatdown?!) breakdown and my own pics….
1.2Pac – should’ve been All Eyez on Me – time and place make this a more important album and aside from ‘Brendas got a Baby’ this (2x)album whups that ass…
2.Kane – again excellent artist but wrong album… ‘It’s a Big Daddy Thing’ is the better of the two – title track,Smooth Operator, Pimpin’ ain’t Easy, Warm it up Kane and Wrath Live… c’mon it ain’t even close! ain’t no half steppin’ is the “classic” but this album had it all
3. Black Moon = overrated, wouldn’t make my list
4. Black Sheep = a fan favorite but…. not sure if it’s “vital”
5. Black Star – no argument here
6. BDP – pro’ly could’ve just left it w/ Criminal Minded, leave more room for some other isht
7. Brand Nubian – again, overrated in my opinion.. . never really felt’em like that… one of the few groups that was actually better off as individuals then as a unit
8. Common – Resurrection — again no room for argument as far as its inclusion on any list
9. Cypress Hill – another ‘fan favorite’ but again not sure if it’s “vital”
10. De La – actually deserving of multiple inclusions so okay lets give it to them, 3 Feet High
11. De La Soul is Dead
12. (and I’ll even give’em) Stakes is High
There’s your 1st Dirty Dozen… I’ll be back with more if I get the chance… discuss
13. Diamond & the Psychotic Neurotics – interesting choice… I’ll give it to you based on the production on this album alone and the fact that it shows you put some thought into this list (ha,ha) but then if we were goin’ for albums based solely on production then, Dr. Octagon (automator) goes somewhere just above Diamond D and Paul’s Boutique (Dust Brothers) goes maybe just below it
14. Sex Packets?! vital?! NO – fun – yes, vital to my understanding the *69 at a young and impressionable age – also yes, but it shouldn’t be on this list
15. Dre – The Chronic – gets a nod from Capt. Obvious
16. EPMD – Strictly Business – also gets a nod
17. Eric B and Rakim – again, pro’ly could’ve left this one alone after Paid in Full but… it’s whatever if you want to Eric B + Ra albums on here
19. Fugees – The Score – agreed
20. GZA – Liquid Swords… hhhmmmm yes/no will have to re-adress this one, not sure if it should make a top 55 list….
21. Goodie Mob – yeah, okay – even though I don’t like that southern sh!t
22. Jay – could get multiple mentions here, Reasonable Doubt, Vol. 2 and the Blue Print don’t let the hate influence your choices here
23. Juvie the “great” – not even really worth discussing… that’s just awfull
24. KMD – I dunno dood… I guess on the strength of giving the world the phrase “the gas face” but other than that… KMD, just not that good
so there’s the next 12 and somehow you found room for Digital Underground, Juevenile and KMD but no Gangstarr?! your credibility just took a major hit when your list lacks a Guru/Primo entry….
hmmm… suspect! (ha,ha,ha more jokes)
What? No Curtis Blow? He had the first GOLD Rap Single, “Basketball”. His album was the hottest property during his time.
Gangstarr- Daily Operation/ Hard to Earn/ or Moment of Truth u pick one,
Jeru- The Sun Rises in the East! How could that be excluded?
MF Doom- Operation Doomsday
take down JUVE cuz that shit ain’t hip hop sorry
and last but def. not least
Krs-One-Return of the BOOM BAP